St. Scholastica’s College, Manila (SSC or colloquially St. Scho) is a Catholic institution for women established in 1906 and managed by the Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing. It is located in 3.66 hectare lot in Malate in the city of Manila. St. Scho has a rich history, spanning over one hundred years and the institution continues to provide quality education to young women (and men for the collegiate level) in the Philippines. It is bounded by Estrada Street on the north, P. Ocampo Street on the south, Singalong Street on the east and Leon Guinto Street on the west. The college was established initially offering elementary grades. It started admitting high school students in 1907 and opened its collegiate department in 1920. It pioneered formal music education in the Philippines, opening a Conservatory of Music in 1907. Although St. Scholastica’s College is an exclusive school for women, admission of male students in the Music, Fine Arts, and Interior Design programs have been allowed.
St. Scholastica’s College is recognized by the Department of Education and the Commission on Higher Education and also a charter member of the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. It has earned Level III accreditation on all of its respective departments and schools. The college will undergo its second accreditation in February 2007.
St. Scholastica’s College celebrated its centennial celebration on December 3, 2006, at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila.
St. Scholastica’s College was founded by five young German sisters: Mother M. Ferdinanda Hoelzer, OSB, Sr. Petronilla Keller, Sr. Cresentia Veser, Sr. Winfrieda Mueller and Novice Alexia Ruedenauer on December 3, 1906 at the request of Apostolic Delegate Monsignor Dom Ambrose Agius, O.S.B. and Archbishop of Manila Jeremiah James Harty, D.D. to give religious education to the children of Manila. Archbishop Harty also gave the same request to the Christian Brothers which led to the establishment of De La Salle College in 1911. The site of the St. Scholastica’s College then was a small residential house surrounded by fishermen’s huts in the fishing village of Tondo. There were then six paying students and 50 non-paying students or scholars.
A year after the college opened, it moved to a property in San Marcelino Street in Manila which was later occupied by St. Theresa’s College Manila and where Adamson University now stands. The school was then housed in an old military barracks. On December 14, 1914 the college was moved again to another site in Singalong Street where the college presently stands. The land, about three hectares was then bought for the amount of two cents per square meter. St. Scholastica’s College, along with its neighbor, De La Salle University-Manila, was ravaged by World War II where its school buildings were all destroyed. Reconstruction of the buildings began in 1946 and took nine years to restore.
The college is a member of the South Manila Inter-Constitutional Schools along with De La Salle University, Philippine Women’s University, Philippine Christian University, Adamson University, Philippine Normal University, and the St. Paul University Manila. The students of the member schools may take accredited subjects in their chosen school for cross-enrollment. The college is also part of the Women’s Consortium Colleges which includes Miriam College in Katipunan, Assumption College San Lorenzo in Makati, La Consolacion College Manila in Mendiola, St. Paul University Quezon City, and the College of the Holy Spirit Manila in Mendiola.