Uganda Martyrs University (UMU) is a faith-based private University owned by the Episcopal
Conference of the Catholic Bishops of Uganda. UMU acknowledges the late Archbishop
Kiwanuka as the Father of Catholic higher education in Uganda. When he first conceived
the idea in the 1940’s, circumstances did not allow establishing a University at that time.
However, this proposal was renewed during the 1980’s, and was endorsed by the Uganda
Episcopal Conference in 1989. Uganda Martyrs University was officially launched in
1993 by His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni President of the Republic of Uganda. It
received its civil Charter on 2nd April 2005. Uganda Martyrs University is located along the
Equator at Nkozi, 80 km west of Kampala, the capital city of Uganda. Opened in October
1993 with 84 students and two academic departments, UMU currently has 7 Faculties,
1 Institute, 3 Schools, 3 Directorates; and about 5,000 students, of whom about 1,500
are full-time residents on campus. The remaining 2,500 and 1,000 participate in distance
learning and part-time programmes respectively at the University campuses in Kabale,
Kampala, Masaka, Mbale and Lira.
Source UMU Website